Sunday 1 April 2018

Mosaic Monday # 79 - apple blossom clematis

Picture the scene if you will - it's late Spring 2017 and I'm wandering around my local garden centre looking for new plants to replace two climbing roses which didn't make it through the winter.
Removing them had left large spaces on the front wall of the house and they needed to be covered over.
I came across a selection of clematis plants that I, in my ignorance, thought might be just the thing and bought two.
They were quite expensive but worth it, I thought, as they would quickly clamber up the Virginia creeper and cover the exposed surface.
All summer long I pined waited for them to flower, nothing, nada, rien!
Plenty of foliage although not enough to fill the empty spaces completely.
During the snowy days of February the clematis by the kitchen door had a bad attack of frost bite and sadly had to be severely cut back.
But now it's Spring 2018 and if you haven't already guessed from seeing my new blog header the apple blossom clematis by the front door has entwined itself around the sturdy branches of the Virginia creeper producing beautifully delicate pink flowers with pale yellow stamens and a delicious scent of vanilla.
The perfect clematis to grow in Normandy, the apple growing region of France.



17 comments:

  1. Wonderful story of your clematis. It's so pretty! Well worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely apple blossom clematis. Thank you Maggie for your 79th Mosaic Monday.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely breathtaking beauty...the colours that I adore the most. I wonder if they grow here if they would thrive in zone 6...I must find out. I hope that you had a glorious Easter. Thank you dear one for all you do to keep us together. Hugs from afar~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicates color and aroma (I can almost smell vanilla) and absolutely perfect for the chosen location. Thank you for hosting and have a Happy April.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Easter Maggie. Thank you for sharing your Clematis. They are gorgeous

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure has an abundance of blooms. The ones I see in NC have big blooms but not nearly this many. I know they are hardy and I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Happy MM! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightful clematis, Maggie, and how wonderful to be rewarded by these blooms after such a wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful clematis Maggie with delightful blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never grown clematis, Maggie as I don't have a good spot for climbing plants. This apple blossom clematis makes me want to get creative and find a spot. Absolutely gorgeous! Happy April!
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your Spring, as we savour our Autumn, Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maggie - what an appropriate choice for a new header! It shouts spring and new birth and welcome! I am so happy for you that it is blooming so profusely. Good things come to those with patience! We had a Sweet Autumn Clematis in Cleveland and it was always a joy to see it sprout as if from nothing and produce hundreds of small blooms in the fall. Thanks for hosting MM, and have a sweet week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these blossoms, both in this post and in your new banner. They speak so eloquently of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The clematis is lovely! What a nice header it makes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have got a lovely floral show there. There is always something so appealing about nature that flowers and does her own thing in her own time, isn't there? I'm in South Korea today and the cherry blossom is at perfection, so may your spring continue to be as lovely.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What gorgeous clematis blossoms! Spring is indeed in full swing there.
    We still have lots of snow here, and no budding vegetation yet, though some birds have come back from their southern "vacation".
    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh these clematis are beautiful! A little similar to our wild clematis here. So sorry I missed the link up last week. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!